Welcome to Caroline Tait Garden Design
Imaginative, beautiful and professional horticulture bringing radiance to your home
onceptual Garden, Hampton Court Palace Flower Show 2013,
Stand No: IN/247
In a first for Hampton Court, and possibly the world, an iceberg is created as a garden. A re-imagination of the humble fridge: repurposed as a building block, recycled as a planter, refridgeration perfected, definitely not refuse. Reflected in a surrounding glass sea and filled with colourful alpines it is a beacon of hope within our resource constrained world.
A 3m high crystalline formation of 36 ‘end-of-life’ fridges donated by Zanussi, sees a strong central structure whose edges collapse, revealing open fridges planted as a ‘green-tinged jewel boxes’ with alpines representing different habitats. Salad drawers and ‘growlers’ appear to float in the raked
‘sea’ of glass crystals that surround the Tip of the Iceberg.
The original realisation was that a fridge could be a ‘building block’ and, as the fridges’ icy, crystalline character was recognised, the idea of creating a ‘fridge mountain’ to comment positively on nuances generated by the structure, began to form. Shaped by John’s interest in the gravel gardens of Japanese temples - pioneers of conceptual gardening, and by Caroline’s love of plants’ colonising abilities and resilience, Tip of the Iceberg is a comment on the potential we have to make good from our piles of waste if we can think ‘outside the fridge’. As an ironic twist, none of the plants within the garden have been chilled or heated to ensure flowering for the Show!
- ‘I really enjoyed your talk – it flowed so well, many speakers don’t get this right’
- ‘Just to say a big ‘thank you’ for such an interesting talk at our AGM, we really enjoyed it and you gave us so much information – I can’t wait to get started!’
- ‘Caroline’s presentations are always excellent’
- ‘Once again many thanks for a great talk. We marvelled at your beautiful and enlightening photos and all enjoyed getting inspiration and ideas for our gardens’
- ‘I learnt such a lot – everything Caroline said was so helpful and inspiring.’
- ‘Thank you so much for all your help and support’
- ‘Thank you so much for all you did for our wedding. The flowers were such an important part and your beautiful work made the day. So many comments were made from the guests about our unique flowers.’
- ‘A very belated, huge ‘thank you’ for making our wedding perfect. The flowers were absolutely beautiful and everything we wanted and more. We have just received the wedding album and the flowers look so fresh. I wanted to say how lovely it was working with you, and your knowledge and expertise shines through.’
- ‘We just wanted to thank you again for the absolutely amazing flowers at our wedding. I am still totally amazed by them and they just couldn’t have been more beautiful. Everybody loved them.’
- ‘Your input has made such a difference’
May 31, 2013, Comments are off